Orchid care changes with the seasons. On top of summer’s warmth, the sun is highest in the sky and hours of daylight are at a maximum. Even on cloudy days, plants are working overtime to photosynthesize.
- On top of your regular watering schedule, water more during periods of active growth, warm weather, or windy conditions. Check these helpful orchid watering tips for more info. Lady slippers, Masdevallias, Miltonias, Odonts, Vandas, and Cymbidiums will enjoy daily soakings.
- Move orchids to shade on really hot days. For most types, high temps are fine as long as humidity is high, too. Even cool growers like Masdevallias can tolerate a short heat wave with enough shade and humid air.
- Fertilizing weakly, weekly is best. Compost can also be a great growth booster.
- Give orchids a summer vacation outdoors if growing conditions permit.
- Pests may thrive in summer heat. Try beneficial insects or carnivorous plants. If pesticides are necessary, try natural, biodegradable products like Neem Oil or rubbing alcohol/surgical spirits.
Explore posts in the same categories: Fertilizing, Growing, Watering